Kyrgios DQ’d after outburst

0
6
Australia's Nick Kyrgios returns the ball to Russia's Daniil Medvedev (unseen) during their ATP Masters tournament tennis match at the Foro Italico in Rome on May 14, 2019. (Photo by Andreas SOLARO / AFP)

ROME, Italy — Nick Kyrgios was disqualified from the Italian Open after throwing a chair across the court in a foul-mouthed tantrum before storming off during his match against Norwegian Casper Ruud.

The 24-year-old Kyrgios, always not far from controversy, made headlines earlier in the day after criticizing rivals including top stars Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal.

“Very eventful day to say to the least. Emotions got the better of me and I just wanted to say that the atmosphere was crazy out there today, just super unfortunate that it had to end in a default,” Kyrgios later wrote on Instagram.

“Sorry Roma, see you again, maybe,” he added before his troubles worsened when he was fined 20,000 euros and made to forfeit his tournament prize money and ranking points.

His astonishing outburst came in his second round tie against 76th-ranked qualifier Ruud, who won the first set 6-3.

Kyrgios won the second set 7-6 (7/5) to level, but was furious after sending a forehand wide to hand a break back to Ruud early in the third set.

The 24-year-old turned and berated the crowd for walking during the point before slamming his racket to the floor amid a string of swear words.

Kyrgios told a spectator: “You’re not supposed to walk across the court as I’m serving, do you understand that?”

Kyrgios then received a code violation for unsportsmanlike conduct and a game penalty, with the umpire calling the tournament referee courtside.

“I’m giving 100 percent. I don’t want to play when this shit is going on,” Kyrgios was heard saying.

He then kicked a water bottle, before throwing a chair across court, packing his bag, shouting “I am fucking done.”

The Australian later posted “Hahahahaha” on Twitter along with crying with laughter emojis alongside a clip of Ruud celebrating going through 6-3, 6-7 (5/7), 2-1 to the third round.

“I think he got what he deserved,” said Ruud of Kyrgios.

The Norwegian, who went on to lose to former US Open champion Juan Martin Del Potro, said he thought the ATP should take action.

“He thinks he can do what he likes.”

“He was angry from the start, at that point in the third, I thought ‘this has to be it’ you can’t go on like that and go on playing’.

“He was getting more and more angry. There’s been a lot of talk about it with other players.

“I think there should be some hard punishment, there’s been some other stuff as well. He should be suspended for at least six months.”

But Swiss star Roger Federer, who Kyrgios branded as the greatest player of all time, did not agree.

“I don’t think he should be suspended personally,” said the 20-time Grand Slam winner.

“He walked off the court. What did he do? He hurt a chair? I mean, that’s not enough for me.

“I don’t know if he’s on probation or not from his Shanghai (walked off court in 2017) thing or not.”

“If that’s the case, then obviously you can maybe look into it. If that’s run its course, I don’t think he should be suspended.”

“A zero pointer, fine, all this stuff is already tough enough. He knows it’s a mistake what happened.”

LEAVE A REPLY