OFW repatriated after death threats

0
17592
Reynalyne Constantino (center) arrives at the NAIA. (ACTS-OFW)

Another distressed overseas Filipino worker (OFW) who continuously received death threats from her employer in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has been safely repatriated, said ACTS-OFW Partylist Rep. Aniceto “John” D. Bertiz III.

Bertiz met Filipino household service worker Reynalyne Constantino at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport when she arrived last 13 February. He assisted her and her family in their needs after the distressing ordeal.

“January 23 pa lang, nasa custody na si Reynalyne ng Al Mashhoury (foreign recruitment agency) para ma-process na ang kanyang exit clearance, pero kinuha ulit siya ng kanyang employer para magtrabaho kaya kinailangan nating kulitin naman ‘yung local agency niya para makabalik siya sa Al Mashhoury. Nagpapasalamat pa rin tayo dahil in God’s grace naiuwi na natin siya sa kanyang pamilya,” he narrated.

Constantino, 43 years old and a native of Cabuyao, Laguna, worked as a domestic worker in Jeddah since December of last year, but immediately sought help weeks later when her employer Maryam Awadh Ai Nofayei threatened to kill her after being accused of taking items from Nofayei’s home.

After several calls to the local recruitment agency of Constantino, Bertiz was able to expedite the process of repatriating the distressed household service worker back home to reunite with her family.

It was one of the leaders of the Party, Mr. Alex Napire, who constantly communicated with ACTS-OFW Partylist’s Legislative Office to ask for help in processing Constantino’s immediate return to the Philippines.

“Nagpapasalamat din po tayo sa ating second nominee na si Ka Vennie Legaspi dahil siya po ang nakipag-coordinate sa atin mula doon para mapabilis ang proseso ng pag-uwi ni Reynalyne. Gayun din po sa ating third nominee na si Engr. Jun Aguilar na personal na sumalubong sa OFW at kanyang pamilya. Mabuti na lamang po at may mga kasama tayo sa ACTS-OFW sa iba’t-ibang panig ng mundo para tugunan ang mga panawagan ng mga kababayan nating OFW,” Bertiz said.

According to Bertiz, it was saddening to think that cases such as Constantino’s still occur up to now, but what mattered most was to ensure the safety and security of OFW.

“With over 25 percent of our OFWs in Saudi Arabia alone, nakalulungkot na nangyayari ang mga ganitong sitwasyon sa ating mga kababayan pero mahalaga na matiyak natin ang kanilang seguridad dahil malaki ang utang na loob natin sa ating mga OFW, ‘yan nga ang tinuturing natin na mga bagong bayani,” he added.

Since 2010, the ACTS-OFW Partylist has relentlessly worked for the repatriation of more than 11,000 overseas Filipino workers in the Middle East during crises and recessions because of oil and gas business shutdowns.

“It is our pledge to protect our OFWs from abuse and illegal practices wherever they are. We remain committed to protecting their rights and promoting their welfare and of their families here in the Philippines. Lahat po ng ginagawa natin, lagi po, para sa OFWs,” Bertiz said.

LEAVE A REPLY