Bob Arum vowed that he would not dip his finger in the looming rematch between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Arum, the 86-year old Hall of Fame promoter, said he would rather devote his time and effort to younger fighters like Vasily Lomachenko, Terrence Crawford, Jose Ramirez and Oscar Valdez.
After 17 years of doing business together, Pacquiao and Arum’s relationship had gone sour.
But it blew out in the open last week when Pacquiao threatened to slap Arum with a lawsuit after the Top Rank CEO failed to remit his share in the broadcast rights in his fight with Lucas Matthysse in Kuala Lumpur last July.
Reports have it that both camps are now talking, but no solid resolution has been reached.
Pacquiao, however, took down the Instagram post where he called out his former promote.
Arum said he would rather do business alone than jump into the Pacquiao-Mayweather bandwagon.
“Listen to me: I will not be involved in that fight, period. At all,” Arum said in a report by CBS Sports.
“Let other people do it. God loves them; let them make money. It’s not for me. I want to devote my time and effort to guys who are in the prime of their careers like Lomachenko, Crawford, Ramirez, Valdez; I ain’t got time for that shit.”
Top Rank president Todd duBoef echoed his stepfather’s position.
“I don’t care. Go ahead, I’m not going to chase that shit,” duBoef said.
“Who needs it? I’ve done that shit before. I gave up on that shit a long time ago.”
After more than five years of buildup, the Pacquiao-Mayweather clash finally came into fruition in 2015.
It set a record in pay-per-view sales of around $4.6 million as the hype surrounding two of the greatest boxers in the planet was too massive to ignore.
Mayweather expressed his eagerness to do it again when they bumped into each other Saturday in Japan, seeing another hefty payday before both of them can ride the sunset.
But Arum, a seasoned matchmaker, strongly doubted if it would happen in December as pay per view sales will be very weak due to college football championship and a UFC card on 8 December.
“I think with Floyd it’s all about money,” he said.
“I can’t see them doing the fight this year; they will probably do it next year.”