THE groundbreaking for the rebuilding of the most damaged part of Marawi City has been moved to August, according to Task Force Bangon Marawi (TFBM) Chairperson Secretary Eduardo del Rosario.
Del Rosario said the task force is negotiating with a new consortium to be led by China Power International Development Limited, a Chinese electric power company, after negotiation with the initial contractor, Bangon Marawi Consortium (BMC), bogged down.
“I was informed that the groundbreaking is reset on the third or last week of August. So with this new development, we could not undertake the groundbreaking this month,” said Del Rosario in a press briefing on Thursday.
“But it will not affect our target date of completion, which is the last quarter of 2021,” Del Rosario assured.
TFBM Secretary-General Undersecretary Falconi Millar said China Power is the second in the top two consortiums whose unsolicited proposals were accepted by the TFBM’s selection committee.
Millar said that on June 14, the selection committee declared an unsuccessful negotiation with BMC so the TFBM engaged with China Power and asked it to submit the technical proposals.
BMC, a consortium of Filipino and Chinese companies, failed to comply with the financial, technical and legal conditions for the rehabilitation project, said Millar.
He said that for the legal compliances, some of the documents BMC submitted were not consularized and not translated into English.
“We had a hard time reviewing these documents which are submitted in Chinese,” said Millar.
Likewise, BMC failed to comply with the equity requirement or to show proof of a set aside deposits, said Millar.
Meanwhile, China Power requested for four days extension to go to Marawi so that they would be able to come up with an intelligent proposal with regard to technical submissions, according to Millar.
Millar the TFBM is still negotiating with China Power with regards to the modality of the joint venture agreement.