Dubai population breaks 3M mark

0
27
(Image from Telegraph)

AS THE world celebrated World Population day on July 11, authorities in Dubai announced that its population has hit the 3.086 million mark, or about a third of the national United Arab Emirates’ total population of 9.27 million people.

Experts said that with the latest population figure, released by the Dubai Statistics Center, Dubai has its work cut out for it to accommodate the growth white maintaining the quality of life and infrastructure.

According to present projections, Dubai’s population is expected to balloon to more than five million by 2027. In the last 40 years Dubai’s population has gown 1,000 percent, making it one of the fastest growing cities on the planet. Such rapid population growth is attributed to the influx of expatriates from other countries seeking work opportunities in the city.

The same data showed that roughly 70 percent of Dubai’s population is composed by males with the females comprising the remaining 30 percent.

A 2016 study by the Dubai Statistics Centre also showed that Dubai’s infrastructure is used not only by the residents living in Dubai but also by another 1.1 million people who live outside of the emirate but commuting to the city every day to work.

Nadeem Azam, CEO, Azam Marketing and Middle East Analyst and Marketing Expert, told Gulf News that large cities such as Dubai must prepare for the future growth of urban centres.

According to the 2015 World Migration Report 2015, Dubai has the highest foreign-born population among major cities in the world with residents from other countries comprising 83 percent of its population.

A separate study led by Dr Fayez Elessawy, UAE University (UAEU) researcher, found that Dubai’s population exploded by 1,000 percent in the last four decades with Dubai growing from 132,371 people in 1975 to more than 2.1 million people in 2015, a growth rate of 6.5 per cent every year fueled nearly entirely by expatriates.

Likewise, Elessawy said their study also found that Dubai has one of the highest annual jump in population, growing at the rate of 6.5 per cent2005 to 2015 when it reached 2.1 million.

However, the study also noted the built-up area of Dubai grew from 54 sq. km in 1975, which grew to 977 sq. km in 2015, indicating rapid urban expansion as well.

Elessawy said that the expansion was noted not only in Dubai, but also to eastern areas like Sharjah and Ajman, where many people working in Dubai live. (WAM)

p: wjg

LEAVE A REPLY