Jinggoy seeks court’s nod for family trip

0
22
Jinggoy Estrada with his family. (Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada Facebook image)

FORMER senator Jose “Jinggoy” P. Estrada has asked the Sandiganbayan for permission to take a holiday vacation with his family in Hong Kong from Dec. 26 to 31, 2017.

In a motion for travel filed before the Sandiganbayan Fifth Division on Tuesday, Estrada said he promised to take his family to Hong Kong after he was allowed by the Sandiganbayan to post bail in his plunder case on Sept. 16, 2017.

“After accused-movant was allowed bail, the family [has] been longing for bonding outside of the country. The Christmas holidays would be the most opportune time to have this,” the motion read.

Estrada said his recent trip to Singapore, where he accompanied his father, former President and now Manila Mayor Joseph “Erap” Ejercito Estrada, for a medical check-up, should be sufficient evidence that he would not evade his case.

Estrada had earlier posted a P2.6 million travel bond for the Singapore trip.

He said he is willing to abide by the conditions of the Sandiganbayan for the trip to push through.

He added that the Sandiganbayan would be given a copy of the family’s itinerary in Hong Kong once the travel motion is approved.

“Once the court approves the travel requested, the itinerary of the accused will be furnished [to] the court.

Estrada indicated that he and his family shall stay at the Marco Polo chain of hotels in Hong Kong.

Estrada is facing plunder and 11 counts of graft for allegedly pocketing P183.79 million in “kickbacks” by allocating his Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) to bogus non-governmental organizations allegedly operated by businesswoman Janet Lim Napoles.

Napoles is the alleged “brains” behind the P10 billion pork barrel and the P900 million Malampaya fund scams. p: wjg

LEAVE A REPLY