Majority or 66 percent of Filipinos were contented with the government’s action to suppress the Maute group in Marawi City based on a Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey conducted from September 23 to 27.
Malacanang was doubly happy as the survey also showed that net satisfaction with President Duterte’s performance, +67, and the national administration’s performance in fighting terrorism and reconciling with Muslim rebels was highest among those who were satisfied with the government’s actions in suppressing the Maute group.
Satisfaction was also very good, +52, for those who are somewhat satisfied the counter-terrorism campaign.
Those who were dissatisfied with the action against terrorists were only 18 percent with another 16 percent were undecided.
The same survey showed that three out of five Filipinos believe that terrorist groups who invaded Marawi City receive drug trade money, as Duterte claimed. The belief that the terrorist groups that invaded Marawi City also receive money from the illegal drug trade was highest in Metro Manila at 72 percent, followed by Mindanao at 65 percent, Visayas at 60 percent, and Balance Luzon at 54 percent.
“We are grateful for our people’s continuing satisfaction with the government’s action in suppressing the Maute Group,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said in a statement. “Indeed, it was President Duterte’s swift and decisive leadership which thwarted the Daesh-inspired Maute Group to establish a caliphate in Marawi City and in Mindanao.”
Duterte placed the whole of Mindanao under martial law on May 23 after Islamic State-inspired Maute members, aided by several Abu Sayyaf and foreign terrorists, attacked and occupied Marawi City. More than 200,000 residents fled to avoid the ensuing battle between troops and terrorists.
The city was finally liberated last month after five months of intense urban gunbattle which resulted in the deaths of 962 terrorists and 165 state forces.
The military said its troops continue to pursue a number of Maute stragglers believed to be still hiding within the main battle area.
Military operations are also continuing to neutralize other armed terror groups, particularly the Abu Sayyaf Group, in Mindanao.
Roque assured that “security forces would remain proactive in monitoring and dealing with these evil forces” even as he urged the public to stand united in the fight against terror.
“We, therefore, call on our people to stand united and work as one nation as we hunt down all lawless elements who are out to destroy the peace prevailing in our communities,” Roque said. PNA/rw: wjg